Monday, October 03, 2005

Popularity

It's been quite a while since I've thought about my own poularity. It was something that consumed me throughout high school though. I was never really popular per se, except may be in Elementary School and really who isn't popular when recess snacks and mix tapes determine your social status.
But recently, I've begun thinking about popularity again. What makes someone popular? How do you determine your popularity? I've always thought of myself as cool, and most people will agree, aside from a bevy of neurotic tendencies and a handful of dorky-yet -charming teen obsessions, I am cool.
But a recent off-hand remark by a friend of mine, reminded me that not everyone shares my self image. He was talking about the popular people from a class we had taken, and it just hit me like a tonne of bricks... I wasn't popular? I mean I know I can be shy, a tad snobby at times and definitely self-conscious, but UN-POPULAR?
It felt like a slap in the face. I mean, I don't think I should be wearing the homecoming queen crown but does that mean I am regulated to be one of those bitter ones with a long trench coat hanging out at my locker all day long?
In reality, I guess I am neither of these archetypes. A floater. One of those, "She was cool. Whatever happened to her?" girls. Maybe it all goes back to one of the only two pieces of advice my mother has given my about social interactions, ( the main one is don't go out; just stay home with your family). She always said that you never want o give all your secrets, all your personality, all your inner workings away to just anyone. Leave a little mystery. Always leave them wanting more.

Oh.. To be pretty, rich and popular.... It could all be so easy. Right? RIGHT?


CURRENT MOOD: Misunderstood.
CURRENTLY LISTENING TO: Folklore - Nelly Furtado

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, you're sooo popular in the celebrity gossip channel. I mean when i first heard of the Chad Michael Murray-Sophia Bush splitsville news last week, who do you think i thought of first? That was so you! It wasn't Lindsey Lohan, it wasn't Paris Hilton ... not even the Katie Holmes. It was you!
Katie