Thursday, July 27, 2006

Ma Famillia.


"Govern a family as you would
cook a small fish - very gently"

This is a quote that I found in my 'philosophy-quote-a-day- desk calendar. It is an old Chinese proverb that is sometiems attributed to Confucius. Whiel I may not be the governor of my family; I definetly relate to this quote. Family is a complicated and layered beast and a lot of the times, I feel like mine is one of the most convoluted.
There are certain ways you act around different people, not being fake necessarily, but more like letting a certain aspect of your personality take over. Maybe you tell more dirty jokes around your friends; maybe you let your hidden interest in Oprah's Book Club hang out when your hanging with the girls. Or maybe like me, you revert to your 12-year-old self complete with a high-pitched baby voice when you kick back with the family.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. much. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that even if I went to India and built an orphanage for homeless AIDS babies my parents would still call me spoiled and talk about when I bought a $70 skateboard from Woolco( does anybody remember that place?) and barely rode it 3 times before abandoning it for a it for a banana board I got at a garage sale in grade 5. But you know, what? I'm okay with that.
Lately, I like my family. They are weird. yes. they mumble and rant and scream and yell at each other for no reason. But they have their moments. Whether it be my dad practising his signature supermodel catwalk walk with a little coaching from moi or my mom salivating over how she scored another microwave (which by the way, brings the household total to somewher around 4) for under $20 at a garage sale; they are interesting, to say the least.
I'm not really sure what the point of this post is. Uh, like ma famillia es bonne??? ( i know, I know, i just mixed spanish and French there, whatever).
I guess my point is my family is crazy and annoying. But they are also loyal and fun.


5 comments:

Kate said...

"Many an interesting personality has been reuined by a normal childhood".

Kate said...

Oh and yeah, I totally remember Woolco. Wasn't it at Mayfair? Whqt ever happened to it I wonder???

Preety said...

Yah. Woolco was where Walm-mart is now the one in Mayfair was Woolworths, I think. If I remeber correctly it was a little classier; like the Bay. I guess. Woolco was liek K-mart complete with blue light specials and discounts on ripped clothes. My mom and I really loved teh blue light specials:0

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»