Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Dating Game

Okay. So it has taken be about 26 years and 3-4 life-changing heartbreaks, but I think I might have finally figured out some fundamental strategies to this torturous game of cat-and-mouse known to most as dating. Now it probably sounds cynical and combative to call these points strategies, a little too military-ish, but today's dating/flirting patterns are much closer to combat than a friendly game of backgammon.
The one thing I am starting to appreciate about dating, is the lack of drama. Dating is easy. Dating is laid-back. Dating is not being paranoid when he doesn't phone every night. Not calling him and asking him if he misses you when your out drunk ( I'll admit I am constantly relapsing on this one). Dating is not over-analysing every little thing he says. Dating is drinks and friendly flirtations and romance and laughter.
Compare that to the last three significant relationships I've had which included: grand theft, over-exposure and abandonment and you can see why dating has been looking so good lately.
I don't know if it has to do with being 26, may be being a little more sure of myself and actually liking who I am on most days or what, but boyfriends are looking to be a distant memory that I barely ever want to revisit.
I mean I can barely stay in one apartment for any length of time, let alone a job, a group of close friends, so how can I expect to have anything except these 3-month hot-cold relationships with guys who get fed up and feel like I give them the cold shoulder or whatever mean things they want to say.
So here I raise my glass to the fine art of dating and flirting with wild abandon and getting asked out by strangers. I hope that I will master this art asap.

CURRENT MOOD: Contemplative
CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
The Cookbook - Missy Elliot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers to that!
~S.