Monday, February 06, 2006

An Homage to tweens






So what?
I am 27 years old and I like everything to do with teenagers. Is that sooo bad? Does it physically harm anyone? Does it offend people's morals that I watch downloaded episodes of One Tree hill and hit the chatrooms to see what the 12 years old thought of last week's episode? My teenage obsession keeps me young. I tak ethe bus a lot and you never know when a rowdy gang of Hilary Duff lovers will want to tussle. As long as I can recite all the words to "So Yesterday" I'm good. I'd like to see how some of you high-and mighty teen-chastisizers would last in a dark corrdier with a gaggle of tweens. I would flourish. Thank you very much.

I don't think it makes me any less cool to like teen stuff. I think it's fun, dare I say it, edgy. It's easy to be cool and like you know like Broken Social Scene and the Arcade Fire and Imogen Heap or whatever, but it's a lot harder to be cool and like
Fall Out Boy, Ashlee Simpson and My Chemical Romance. And I do it . I do it with Flourish.

Why am I so into teen stuff? I'm not sure. Whenever I watch a teen show or listen to teen music, I feel something, almost like what I feel when I buy some new clothes, I feel giddy and content and like I am a part of something. I never really experienced much of the teen melodrama I watch or listen to, I think I spent most of my teen years ready to slit my wrists or face down in a pile of my own vomit, so there's something fun and frivoulous about watching these perfect-looking girls go through their daily dramas with their perfect clothes, perfect accessories and perfect boyfriends. It's unbelieveable and beautiful and delicious . It makes me see the teenaged years as full of wonderment and discovery and heartache; not betrayal, bitterness and a plague of worthlessness.

Also keeping abreast of all things teen is an important exercise for my future career. I will be a big time entertainment reporter /pop culture jeopardy winner and I need to keep on top of everything that's happening in my target demographic.


So cut me a little slack and let me watch my teens in peace. And admit it, you love it too!

Current Mood: Teen-tagious!
Current Music: Trippin' BY Headley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have an addiction. The first step is admitting it.

-steve-o

Anonymous said...

i bet i could match your teen trivia or better yet, beat you.!!! but i believe my obvious win would have to start w/ people age 20 and up see ya CHALLANGE!!!

Sean Santa said...

as long as youre not sleeping with them, youll be alright

Anonymous said...

You keep your teen addiction, Preet. It is an important part of you!

Also, I am three and a half months older than you and I still play with dolls. So you have nothing to worry about :)

Adri

Anonymous said...

SLEEPING WITH YOUNG PEOPLE IS HOT!