Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Weddings weddings, wedddings!!!


Weddings are in the air.
Well not really. I'm not getting married. Only one person I know is getting married. But it feels like the most exciting thing ever. It is the most exciting thing ever.
My best friend is getting married this summer and I am now getting into the full swing of planning. I can't reveal many details in case she ever reads this but needless to say nothing gets me more excited than planning and organizing things. (Yes. I DO realize how lame that makes me sound, but whatever).
Sometimes, I think it's so fun to be a girl. And when I get married that will be one of those times. Engagement parties, bachelorette parties bridal showers, not to mention the wedding itself. I think my actual wedding will probably make me vomit because I hate having everything all about me and everyone staring at me, but the other stuff will be so fun! At first I thought the bachelorette party would be the funnest part but the more I think about it, I think the bridal shower will be funner. That one has your family and relatives and I'm sure when (IF?) I ever get married my mom would be super-excited and all-bossy and would make copious amount of spicy Indian food and get that weird plastic smile that she gets when she's trying to be nice to people she doesn't know.
The Bridal shower seems more relaxed. The bachelorette party has so much pressure. IT THE LAST NIGHT OF HER SINGLEDOM. The Bride needs to have fun. Needs to get drunk. Needs to flirt with black guys. Okay maybe some of this is just in my head, but you can get the gist of it right? It's all staring down on me like the barrel of a gun and I'm not even the one getting married. I just want everything to be perfect and so fun for her.
Because after her wedding. It's the end.
The end of an era ( an era that really died when she and her husband-to-be became serious). I mean it's not like I'll never hang out with her again. Or like we hang out a lot right now. But the potential is there. And say I wanted to go to a bar? Would my newly-married friend go? What happens when guys start to dance dirty with her? Is she going to flash her wedding band ( That's actually not a bad idea to get rid of creepy bar guys) Or like if I was going out with someone and the newlyweds come along?!!! That's so weird. It's a lot of pressure.
Not that any of this really matters. Sometimes it just seems surreal. Like when you're in grade five or whatever and you talk about what you'll do when you graduate and then all of a sudden you're 17 and you haven't written your first best-selling novel or married the lead singer from Poison like you had been planning all those years ago. I've known for a while that they are getting married but now that everythig is coming down to logistics as opposed to daydreamy plans. It's so strange.
Everyone's growing up. It's exciting. and a bit scary.....

Currently listening to: The Hard-Fi
Current Mood: Antsy and bored

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weddings and marriage are so last year. Get ahead of everyone you know and go for the quickie marriage and annulment a la Britney Spears or go completely left-field and join a commune. I hear Bountiful is looking for new converts! That's edgy!