Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Randomness


Today I coulda died,ya know. Coulda died for my love of music, for my need for noise, for my lazyiness, for my inability to keep my mixed CDs from getting totally scratched. It's true. I had a flash. A flash like how people who hve a near-death experience talk about having a flash of their whole life run before them in fast-forward. Kinda. My flash was not my life. It was a memory. A memory that I share with many, of a young girl named Alice whose life was taken too early in the epic conclusion of Christopher Pike's Final Friends. Okay so maybe my near-death experience was not totally similiar to the fate of dear Alice. If memory serves correct, Alice was in the bath and kind of drunk and depressed when her boyfriend (?) came in and threw a toaster or a curling iron in the tub and she was electrocuted and died. I was in the bath as well. I too, was a little out of it having been jolted out of bed by the agonizing screams of Italian soccer fans who were cursing the French for drawing first blood and just being generally disoriented from my cold medicine and unrestful sleep. But no questionable boyfriend came and shocked me. I did it all by myself. See it all goes back to a lack of dollar-store AAA batteries to put inour shaower radio. Since that's not working, we have to use our little portable stereo which has a CD player on it. So I decided to listen to a CD, my Taking back Sunday mix because I had a weird dreamlast night where the singer Adam was in my bathroom and wouldn't comeout until I made him perfect samosas from scratch. However, my taking Back Sunday mix Cd is totally scratched so I had to move the CD player so then it woul start to skip, I would be able to skip the offending song. So I moved it to on top of the toliet and the cord was stretched across the bathroom. It was fine until I got out of the bath and my hair was dripping on the cord right where it enters the stereo and I was also standing on teh bathmat so I got this weird shock and kinda saw a spark. It was weird. But I am alive and, although I am still hacking and maybe have a fever, I will say well.

I have no idea what the point of this entry was. I guess I just really wanted to mention that I loved Christopher Pike and that his Final Friends books are what inspired me to be a writer. I know, I know, I should have something more lofty to say, like the first time I read Dostevesky, I knew I was meant to write, or the first time I read Shakespeare or something very high-brow, but ya know how we do. I keeps it reals.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it must be our mutual love of christopher pike books that binds us together, huh? but unlike you, my reading those books lead me to start reading r.l. stine which i still do. its a good thing this is anonymous.

Kate said...

Oh Preety, I am glad you are okay!

Preety said...

Thanks Kate. If there is one way I don't want to die it's naked, wet trying to fix a skipping CD!

Anonymous,
There is a lot more that binds us than our mutual respect for the literary genius of Christopher Pike. What about our appreciation for 90210? Laguna? the Hills? watching way too much TV? If that's not the basis for a beautiful friendship, I don't know what is!

Anonymous said...

well where was my head of course there is also our mutual love for my bags hee hee

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»