Saturday, November 25, 2006

Things that go Bump in the Night

I'm not usually a scaredy cat. Usually I like having the place to myself. But sometimes. Sometimes, like right now when I should be sleeping in until a glorious 11 am or noon, sometimes, tiny noises wake me up with a start and automatically make my heart start racing and tears spring to my eyes.

Lately, I have been super paranoid that someone is going to steal my TV. Maybe it's because the TV is the only thing that is really mine in the living room. This week alone, I have run out to the living room three times in the middle of the night with cell phone in hand ready to dial 911 to keep cracked-out theives from stealing my prized possesion. There really is no logic to my logic in teh middle of the night.

At least today I managed to get like 4 hours sleep. At least I have refrained from phoning any of my friends crying hysterically about how the winds and the sounds of the rain and the noisy way the people upstairs walk can be misconstrued as a burgular.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i was wondering why your light was on at 7 am on a weekend. maybe you should get a security chain

Kate said...

Call me any time you are scared Preety.
I am such a chicken about being home alone, especially at night, that I will totally understand.

Preety said...

i guess I will be leaving soon enough so hopefully my precious TV, not to mention my LIFE, will be safe until then!

Holly said...

OK, I do the same thing but with mice. I'm convinced that the mice have returned.

Do you remember Babysitter's Club? They did this thing once where they hung pots on the door so if anyone opened the door it would fall down and they would know.

So I used to do that and then I got this doorstop thing that squeals when you open the door and wakes everyone in the building up. I've done it to my neighbours on the odd morning I forgot to remove it.

To make matters worse it turns out that I can hear EVERYTHING going on in the bedroom of the apartment next to me. Last night, he was upset or whatever and I literally heard him throw his blankets off and get up and get a drink of water.

It's like having a boy roommate you don't have to clean up after -- very weird.