Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Best Albums of 2006

Continuing with the trend of not doing much in these post-Christmas, pre-New Year's creepy days, I have decided to create my own list of the best albums of 2006. I am nothing if not opinionated. Even more than that, my opinion is right, and if you don't agree with me then your opinion is wrong. I kid, I kid!


10. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Most people won't give this CD a break. Sure, it had that once-catchy-but-then-super-annoying-because-it-was-played-every-30 seconds-on-some-radio-station-in-North-America, "Crazy", but the rest of the CD is also wicked. I could due without the retro 90s psychedelia motif and the weird kitschy costumes they wear when they perform but the beats and the random lyrics are golden.

9. Morrissey - Ringleader of Tormentors

Maybe it is being back in my mom's basement over the holidays that reminds me of all my just-under-the-surface teenage angsty feelings or maybe it is just a fluke of nature that this happened to be one of teh CDs that I didn't leave in storage; but I have recently rediscovered this gem and I remember why those kids in the back corner of photography class wore those long trenchcoats and wore their hair in those cringe-worthy pompadours. Morrissey. When you want to write bad break-up poetry or comtemplate why God is so cruel to you and no one else, this is your CD. "You Have Killed Me", is one of my favourite songs ever.


8. M. Ward-Post War

Okay so I haven't actually bought this CD. But I am obssessed with M. Ward. A quick Internet search will prove that any music critic worth his salt is also obsessed with him. His music is stripped-down, melodic and beautiful. Forget Sufjan; it's all about M. Ward now.


7. Regina Spector- Begin to Hope

Okay, so maybe I didn't get into Regina Specktor until after I heard she was dating my boyfriend Julian from the Strokes, but please don't hold that against me. She is sooo cool. Her lyrics are like little stories; she actually talks about more than her broken heart (shocking)! My favourite song is "Fidelity", I probably listen to it almost everyday still, like 3 months later!

6. Jay z - Kingdom Come

Most hip hop heads label this album as sub-par; but that is an unfair rating. It's like after Michealangelo did the Sistine chapel or his statue of David; I'm sure people were like " oh this painting of this fruit bowl is no Sistine Chapel" Well, you know what? There can only be one Sistine Chapel and there can only be one The Black Album. While I will admit the first single, "Show me What you Got," was less than stellar; the rest of the CD is great. I love the new single, "Lost Ones," and "Beach Chair" featuring Chris Martin of Coldplay will be a cult classic.

5. The Dears - Gang of Losers

I have loved the Dears since No Cities Left came out in 2003. "Expect the Worst/cos she's a Tourist" was like the song of that summer for me. So when I found a leaked copy of Gang of Losers this year I was so happy. This is a CD that sounds different everytime i hear it. After every listen I discover some new clever anecdote that I didn't get before. They are so great and I vow that I will see them live in 2007!


4. Justin Timberlake-Future Sex/ Love Sounds

You know I don't really want to like Justin Timberlake. I still have a grudge from that "Cry me a River" video where he called out my girl, Britney. Then there war that whole Super Bowl debacle of 2004 where he left Janet Jackson hanging, literally. But you know what? I can't help but like him. He's hot! He's funny ( did you see SNL?)! He's talented. He's well-dressed! He can dance! He can really do no wrong! Even when he does do wrong; he goes back to doing what he does best which is create the best dance songs! "Chop me Up" featuring the Three Six Mafia is my favourite song. I hope it is his next single.


3. The Decemberists-The Crane Wife

The Decemberists are the songwriters every English Major doing nothing with their degree wants to be. Listening to the Crane's Wife is how I try to retain my rapidly fading books-smarts. Their songs are epic and swirling and beautiful and grand. Now I am gushing. Am I gushing? I love this CD. I would name my first-born the Crane's Wife if it wouldn't cause an irreversible identity crisis for my child if it was a boy. If you ever feel like you are getting dumb from too much Youtube or reading too many US Weeklies at the gym; listen to the Crane's Wife; lie down and really listen. I swear when you wake up the next morning you will feel smarter and a bit melancholy.


2. Lady Sovereign-Public Warning

This CD never lived up to the immeasurable hype from Def Jam.Maybe because all these songs were already available and released in the United Kingdom over a year ago. But it is still awesome. She is like a michevious little minx and her lyrics are totally funny and tongue in cheek. Maybe she is a drunk and will be kicked off her label soon; but she puts on a fun show and her song "9-5" was like my theme-song for the last year and a half.


1. The Killers-Sams Town

Was there any doubt? The Killers are the best band ever; even with their scraggly facial hair and Brandon Flowers' grandiose comments on the music industry. Say what you want about their posturing and personal lives but Flowers can write a sing-a-long pop song like no ones' business. There's nothing I like better that singing along at the top of my lungs to "Why do I keep on Counting" and "My List."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if the great depressed one would approve but I have been drinking coronas in 98 degrees weather laying by the pool and listening to Ringleader of Tormentors all day. Oxymoron much?

Preety said...

that is sacriledge!! You can only listen to the great depressed one shivering in your parent's basement that used to be your teen bedroom realizing that you are really way too old to relate to this crap! But you know what? Morrissey is like 50 and he still sounds as depressed as he did when he was like 16 so that means I can too!