Thursday, October 20, 2005

Interviews.... The Other Side

I hate interviews. The awkwardness and the fakeness and the anxiety are all oftentoo much to take. But today I experienced a whole new way to hate interviews. From the Other Side. I interviewed someone today with my boss and it made me realize that interviews are awkward and angst-ridden for both parties.
As soon as the Interviewee stepped into the office, we could smell her desperation. She is about 37-ish and hasn't had much computer experience but is trying her best to learn every newprogram thrown her way. It was sad to see someone try so hard to impress you for 30 minutes when we both knew in the first 5 minutes that she would not be the right fit for our office.
Most of the interviews went like that today.... Some people were basically straight off the boat and were very timid and soft-spoken. One guy, Wing Chung was super-polite and seemed very keen but he had a thick accent and a weird lisping problem so he wouldn't have worked. But I felt so bad for him. He was telling me how if he didn't find a job soon, he would probably have to go back to Hong Kong.
Overall, it was an exhausting and depressing day....

Current Mood: Spacey
Currently Listening To: Let it Die - Fiest

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was that his REAL name??????????????

Preety said...

oh yeah wing chung wang chung.. I never thought of that..... That's funny.. Now we'll hire him...:)